Sunday, October 03, 2010

Culture: live music

Carlos Guerra - Indian bansuri player
Lives in Kyoto and teaches in Tokyo


I love live music 
What does 'live' mean?
It means 'not a recording'.
We had a 'live' conversation on Skype.
We recorded the conversation and then we played the recording on YouTube.
YouTube is not live.
I saw them play live. = I saw them playing in person, it was not a recording.
I like live music.
I enjoy going to live concerts.
The game (noun) was televised (verb) live on T.V. = The T.V. showed the game at the same time they were playing.
Televised = On television
There is sometimes a slight time delay (time lag) in live broadcasting, to catch anything bad that might happen.
It is useful for editing and filtering as a safety net.

Grammar point
In Japanese `live` is a noun. It means `a live performance`, usually a concert. This is not how native English speakers use the word. In English `live` is an adjective, so it is often followed by a noun. For example...
...a live concert...
...a live performance...
...live theatre....

Last week I saw my favourite group playing live.
Last week I saw my favourite group live.

No comments:

Post a Comment