Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Word Watch: Appetite

Cooking nabe at a restaurant in Japan
Photo by Rob.
Right now
I have an appetite. = I feel like eating. (Now) / I am hungry.
I have an appetite for 'karintou'. = I want to eat 'karintou'. (Now)
I don't have an appetite. = I do not feel like eating. (Now)
I don't have much of an appetite. = I am not hungry. (Now or 'usually')

Usually / Always
He has a big appetite. = He usually eats a lot of food. (Usually) 
Do you have a big appetite? = Can you eat a lot of food? ('Now' or 'usually', it depends on the context of the conversation)
I don't have a big appetite. = I don't eat much. / I don't feel like eating much now.
I don't usually have a big appetite, but today I am REALLY hungry! (It must be the cool air!)

2 comments:

  1. 質問です。
    食べ過ぎで胃が痛いというのはなんと言うのでしょうか?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! There are many ways to say this, here are some useful expressions:

    I have eaten too much.
    I have over-eaten.
    I ate too much.
    I over-ate.
    My stomach hurts from over-eating.
    I have a tummy ache from eating too much.
    I am stuffed!
    I am so stuffed my tummy hurts!

    I hope these help you! Of course the best answer is 'Please do not eat too much!' But at this time of year it's difficult advice to follow!

    Rob.

    ReplyDelete