Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Weather: Clear Autumn Skies!

Taken on Tue Oct 5th from Prana English roof
Photo by Rob.
Clear Autumn Skies
The sky is clear today.
The sky is clear and blue.
It is a lovely clear day today.
Autumn skies are clear and blue.
It is a lovely clear autumn day.
There is a slight chill in the air, but the skies are clear and blue.
`a chill` - This means it is cool. (`it` means `the temperature`)

There is a little but of cloud around.
It is slightly cloudy. (`it` means `the sky` or `the weather`)
That cloud looks like Italy!
That cloud is in the shape of Italy!
That cloud looks kind of like Italy. (It looks a little bit like Italy.)
The sun is bright and warm, but the breeze is a little bit chilly.
Clear autumn days are my favourite!
Autumn is my favourite season, because the skies are clear and the air is cool.
I don't like getting sweaty in summer, and I don't like freezing to death in winter!

Points
1. Even though there is only one sky, we often talk about `the skies`. I am not sure why this is, but I think it is because the sky looks different from different places, or at different times.

2. The food (spice) called `chilli` is hot (spicy), but `a chill` means `cool` or `cold`!!
I have a chill. - I am cold, and I am probably sick.
Grandmothers are fond of saying `don`t go out, you`ll catch a chill!`
Another thing grandmothers like to say is `You`ll catch your death`. This has basically the same meaning. It means `stay inside, if you go outside you will get cold and then sick`. In the old days, before medicine, this often meant you might die. 

No comments:

Post a Comment